Friday, October 28, 2005

En Village

So I have successfully (sort of) completed my first week en village. It wasn't that bad except that the previous two days I had nothing to do because everyone in the country has been on strike. They even closed the clinic down! I got so bored I hand sewed curtains even though there is a tailor in town on market days.

The people have all been great and I am having a really good time getting to know my surroundings. The place is starting to look even more like Texas now that the dry season is starting.

I have come to the conclusion (as if I didn't know before) that I would make a horrible mother! When I got back to my house, my "daughter" was still staying with me. I was panicked the whole time because I didn't know what to feed her or talk to her about. One day I had to get up early to get her off to school. Man was I pissed that day! I sent her off with money to go buy bread. I mean of all the people for this problem to happen to it is me.

So I went to her parents house and finally we got the whole thing straightened out. They next two nights she would come over to help after school but would go home at night. Then the next night she said she was staying with me again. I wasn't in the mood to fight with her so I said okay. She then invited a bunch of kinds over to my house and asked me for candy in front of them so I had to give the candy dish to her (sorry mom for ever putting you on the spot like that). I told her, "one for each kid because its bad for your teeth." I know she understood me but after a little while she didn't return the dish. So I had to go over and ask for it back. When I did she took the dish and dumped out all the candy then handed it back to me. I said "oh no" and made her put the candy back. So then I guess she was upset because I scolded her in front of her friends and the next day she ran away from home. I haven't seen her since. So after one week of being a parent I have a runaway, disobedient 12 year old daughter. Nice job, huh?

Other than that things are going well. My dad and next door neighbor came over one night and gave me chicken and moonshine. And there is a kid in my courtyard named. . . I kid you not, Leah (as in Princess)! Will have fairly regular access to computer (every 2 weeks) so check in for updates. Mom is working on first round of pics to be updates.

Love ya'll and take care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home