Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Fugitive from Justice

I hope everyone got a chance to look at the pictures I sent. There are many stories behind everyone I can assure you.

I am back in Ouaga again for four days. It is the time for my midservice (can any one believe I am at the midservice point?) medical exam. It is now that I will get the flatworm test whose results are so eagerly awaited.

Two weeks ago I was in Ouaga for the preparation of the new training. I will go back to village saturday with five new trainees. They are coming to visit my site for a few days on order to see how volunteers live. Then I will accompany them up north and spend a week at the training site leading sessions. Needless to say all last week was spent informing my village and preparing for the invasion. Actually I think it will be pretty fun. My daughter is going to make them to. Whenever I have told other volunteers this they always make a face a say, "The trainees have only been in country for three weeks. Do you think they are ready for to?" My daughter's to is the best in the world though, I will actually miss it when I leave, so I figure it is a good introduction for them.

Speaking of my daughter, a surreal experience (for me) happened to us the other day. We were going home after the Saturday night theater troupe meeting when we stopped for bread at the corner "store." The owner was at prayer as it is the month of Ramadan so we were waiting out front for him to return. It was dark and there was a lightening storm so the atmosphere was a little spooky. All of the sudden a truck filled with people in the back pulled up right outside the store. I thought it was odd as people don't usually travel at night but was not alarmed. My daughters started getting nervous and hissed at me to nonchalantly leave the area. I was confused.
Other people around us also started making a mad dash. She grabbed my flashlight and turned it off. After we turned the corner she sprinted into the corn field and together we hid. I asked what was going on and she replied that it was the police coming to make an arrest. As she is thirteen, I know that she is not personally guilty of anything. While we were hiding, my two brothers passed us. She alerted them of the police and they too hid themselves are their bikes.

It seemed sort of like a movie, having to run and hide from the people who are protecting you in the middle of west africa. Of course, I know these set of cops and they would never do anything bad or unjust but I found it very interesting that Bregetou's and other's first response was so violently opposed to them. Talk about a difference in culture.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mar said...

Kelly - I created my own blog at a conference.
http://dreisenwine.blogspot.com

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home