Friday, May 22, 2009

Burkinabe Redtape - Quelle joie!

So, things were moving along rather well, until Thursday. For some inexplicable reason, no one worked on Thursday. When asked, I was told that no one was working because it was a) Thursday and b) something to do with the day of baptisms (although no one seemed to be doing that either). So Yesterday was a bust which means that we were trying to get all of the finishing paperwork done todat, which is friday, and that is never a good sign. Our friend Lasso came by this morning to help us navigate our way through the courthouse and through the medical tests, which was all that was left. We got the medical paperwork done this morning and much to my relief the doctor waived the normal blood tests. I was a little wary of having a Burkinabe doctor search for a vein to take my blood. We then went to the courthouse to get the last remaining paper which is a request for a waiver of the normal three month waiting period. This isn't a big problem since Lasso has connections in the mayor's office but the judge who was supposed to sign the paperwork was (big surprise) not working today because it is Friday. So, we now have to wait until Monday to get the paper. As soon as we get the paper on Monday we will then take it to Lasso's brother in the mayor's office who says that he can then d the marriage whenever we want. I am hoping to get it done before the 30th so that we still have time to go to Ghana.

Tomorrow morning we will go to Reo to meet with the second woman's group that makes shea butter. More to come on that later.

I think that we have decided to wear traditional clothes for the wedding here. It seems more appropriate and I have never had a traditional dress made so I feel like this is a good a time as any. The only other wedding detail that we are still discussing is whether or not to hire a photographer. I have my camera and just assumed that someone could take the pictures for us but last night we were eating with Lasso and his family. They showed us the pictures or their wedding which were pretty well done so now we are thinking maybe we would want to have someone take the pictures as well.

On the health front, yesterday, I am sorry to say, I had a slight case of ghardia. I guss I spoke too soon in my last blog. Things are better today however.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home